Tuesday, May 28, 2013

5 Years

Today is our fifth anniversary.
To many people that might not sound that long, but I'm pretty proud of us.  Not many high school loves stay together these days and not only did we make it through high school, now we've made it through college too.

The photo above is one of the very first taken of us together.  We're at the Clinton Symphony Orchestra summer concert.  We are going to go to that same concert this year-it's right around the corner.  Back then, in 2008, I remember we were some of the youngest people at the concert.  We sat towards the back and all of the older orchestra patrons kept turning around and telling us how cute we were and how glad they were that we came.  I wore a green dress that Spenser loved.  I still have it.  Oh, and we had a picnic!  I made us fajita steak sandwiches and packed grapes to go with.  Spenser brought the prettiest colorful quilt to picnic on.

Among these scattered memories, this one will always stand out to me.  We had packed up our blanket, were walking out of the park and we passed by this very abstract sculpture, just a bunch of metal half circles interwoven.  (I know, that was a terrible way to describe a piece.  sorry!)  I asked Spenser what he thought it was; what it represented.  He replied, "Courage."  I have no idea if that is what the artist was going for and I probably will never know, but what I did know was that he was for keeps.  It really didn't matter what he said, it just mattered that he had an answer.  To me, it showed his creative side, the way he can think out of the box.

I've always believed that Spenser and I live our lives as artists.  Not just in the literal sense, even though he is a musician and I both appreciate and dabble in various arts.  Rather our life is our art; the way we live is our art.  And that day at the concert back when, I had my first sense of that in Spenser.

Spenser, happy 5 years.  I love you now and forever.
Can't wait to go to dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment