Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Graduation Day

This past Sunday I graduated from college!  After transferring my freshman year, taking courses at the community college during my summers, doing my senior design project my sophomore year, and completing two internships, I can finally say I did it!  I finished in three years just like I said I would and I am happy and proud to have reached that goal.   But I did not get through alone.  This is not just my day, rather it belongs to everyone who has helped me get to where I am.      
The graduation ceremony itself had its goods and bads.  The guest speaker was a bit long in my opinion, however I thought the student speaker was very good.  The best, most meaningful part of the ceremony though was actually before the ceremony.  All of the potential graduates, including myself, met backstage and had pictures taken and visited while waiting to proceed to the main area.  Once we got the cue, we started walking towards the main area through a tunnel-like hallway.  Lining this hallway on either wall were all of the university professors clapping, smiling, and speaking words of congratulations as we walked through.  It was a total surprise and such a sentimental moment. 
Obviously these two, my parents, came, as well as my grandparents.  Two of my aunts were nice enough to fly in (from Washington D.C. and Florida no less!) for the event.  Some more closely located relatives came too.  I had invited some friends, but many were still in school.  There is one lady who I know was very disappointed she couldn't come, but I could still feel her love that day.  And of course, Spenser was there!  Beaming and all!  He was the first to find me in the crazy mass exodus.  He ran up to me and swept me off my feet-quite literally.  He lifted me up, swung me around, and proceeded to carry me towards the rest of my family.  I loved it. 
This woman deserves a special thanks.  As I mentioned above, my loved ones all helped through college in various ways, but my mom seemed to encompass all of those ways.  She supported me in every way, whether it was listening to my accomplishments and struggles, setting up my room, helping me organize "extra" paperwork (bills, transcripts, equivalencies, etc.), or just being available for whatever.  I appreciate every moment, you amaze me.  Thank you.
(Also, thank you to Spenser for capturing this moment.  No wonder you're my photography coach. ;) )
I wanted to keep the celebration afterwards pretty simple.  For my high school graduation, we had a big open house on and in our patio/deck/backyard area.  A lot of people came, we set up tables, had it catered, etc.  I know that many people also do that sort of celebration for their college graduation.  However, this being said, I wanted something that was a nice time, but required less planning and setting up.  We decided on a casual dinner after the ceremony.  We went to The River House, which has a lot of historic décor.  Everyone got to order what he or she wanted and there was no clean up after. Win-win. :)
 
Thank to everyone who has supported me and influenced me these past few years! 
Here's to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment