Monday, August 27, 2012

Jan Marie

Jan Marie and Chelsea 1
This woman in the photograph with me (yes, that's me!) has been a family friend for quite some time now.  Jan Marie has been one of my mom's closest friends and like an aunt to me.  She has been on my mind and in my heart a lot recently.  Last year she was diagnosed with cancer and has bravely fought it since.  Unfortunately right now the cancer is winning, but this post is about her, not cancer. 
 
Jan Marie made everywhere she went beautiful.  I mean it, literally.  She had an eye for art and design and how to arrange something in such a pretty way that it immediately made you smile.  She also knew how to live simply and to appreciate things like riding a bike or just enjoying an ice cream cone on a summer day; things most of us are guilty of taking for granted. 
 
I have loved her as an "aunt" and she will always, always have a place in my heart. 
 
On a recent visit to see her, her husband made a statement that I've been thinking about a lot lately.  He said,"Everyone talks about how things were better...'back in the good ol' days.  What they don't realize is that that's now.  We're living in the good ol' days."
Something to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment