Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Putnam

Friday, during the day, we went to the Putnam Museum.  When I was in elementary school, we'd go there for class field trips, but since then I hadn't been back.  And elementary school was a while ago, so it was kind of novel going back.  The museum is small, but does well at trying to host a variety of exhibits-I can see why they took us there on field trips as kids.
^^This is a replica of a coral reef made completely out of yarn.  It was crocheted and manipulated to represent various parts and organisms of a reef.  If you're interested in how the exhibit was made or just more about it, you can go here, here, and here.
The aquatic section of the museum.  There was a fake submarine set up so Spenser got to practice shifting a rover and I, well I... just enjoyed looking out the bubble windows.  Guess I was meant to be a passenger as far as submarines go?
^^The museum covers all kinds of cultures and periods: Native Americans, ancient Egypt, Asia, the Americas.  It also has a lot of local history, recounting settlers on the Mississippi River and life in the Quad Cities up til now.  Some of the old black and white photos were so neat.  It is always amazing to see a past version of a place you know.  And of course, my favorite era... 
We closed the visit by spending some time in the children's discovery area.  I climbed inside the large tree and Spenser crafted structures with natural wood pieces.  Or shall I say engineered them? ;)  Regardless, we had fun playing around.
I heart trees, even the fake ones. ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment